Beginning

 



Materials: Cardstock, oil pastels, book page

Process: I sketched out the figure I wanted using a myself as a reference on the book page then enlarged it. Then, using an xacto knife, I cut away the inside of the figure and the words that are not boxed. Using oil pastels, I created many lines, curled and not, to create a geometric design similar to fire on black construction paper. I glued the enlarged page onto the black paper. 

Idea: The image I wanted to convey was that this was a “beginning” stage of the pining story. The sentence “sparks flew all over” means that butterfly/heart skipping that comes with starting to like someone. Usually associated with that is fire, hence the geometrical look. I wanted to use the inside of the figure to symbolize that the “sparks” are felt inside. What the figure is holding is her finger for a butterfly to land on (also to symbolize the “butterflies in stomach” idea). 

Comments

  1. Good! I think this is a good piece for the beginning of pining to inform the viewer what it's about. I like the depth of the piece and the figure (really) but I am not sure the viewer would understand the anxiety and/or butterflies in the stomach without reading your text. Which is not always a bad thing, subtly is nice, but in this case I think your strong message could be clearer somehow.
    Maybe it is the lack of zing from the oil pastels on black paper. If you use white underneath, then color, it would pop more. I wonder if a butterfly in the stomach in oil pastel, on fire, would convey it more clearly? (Just a thought, not anything more). I am really glad you incorporated the fire into the blackout poetry process because I think that is going to be key in your SI: (finding ways to make the simple genre more sophisticated and creative) but again, we really can't see it enough for it to be as effective as your idea calls for.
    Also I would suggest using the metal ruler and really paying attention to craftsmanship (keeping straight cuts, etc., as it will help you score better.
    I do have some gold leaf paint. Maybe if we seal the oil pastel you could do accents with paint. Or the colors could be brought up in photoshop express on your phone? (Again, just a thought, this is your work, not mine :)
    Thanks Olivia, you are only one of two that turned in a piece on time so that is important to your grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also the presentation is very important. The sheet isn't cut evenly and the page is creased. I also don't have any process shots or notes so be sure and upload those too next tijme.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Warning

Waiting