Closing


Materials: watercolor pencil, sharpie

Process: i found, once again, a sentence from many and drew connecting lines to the words of the sentence through the gaps of other words. I sketched out the hand using my own reference and colored the hand and door using watercolor pencil, as well as the background. I then went over the pencil lines of the connecting lines with sharpie and any border needed. I did not mean to use purple, I thought it was black, but I made it work by adding a shadow through the doorway with sharpie. I added butterflies on the doorway and thinner lines around the rest of the door.

Idea: the butterflies on the doorway symbolize change and I wanted to come almost full circle from my first piece which was reaching out towards something unknown yet hoping for something to help them. This time, the hand is almost in the same position but reaching towards something they know will be good: growth and change within themselves for the better. The “door opening” is the butterfly door, striving towards that growth and change. Closing the door symbolizes, metaphorically, not looking back at the feelings towards another and instead focusing on themself. I wanted to try a slightly different technique with the sharpie since I’ve been using thin sharpie for the connecting words and outline since I used the wrong color for the background. The thick sharpie is too bold and almost distracting. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning

Warning

Waiting